- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 T olive oil
- 12 oz Merguez sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 T Terre Exotique Harissa Paste
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz Verrigni Mezzi Rigatoni, Fusilli, Pennotta, or Radiatore
- 3 oz feta, crumbled, or shredded Parmesan cheese
Special Equipment: spice mill or mortar & pestle
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grind caraway and cumin in a spice mill or with a mortar and pestle; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook sausage until browned all over but still pink in the center, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Slice into 1″ pieces.
- Add onion to same skillet and cook, stirring often, until soft, 6–8 minutes. Add garlic and reserved spices. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, crushing, and juices, then harissa. Cook until sauce thickens slightly, 6–8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until very al dente. Drain, reserving ¼ cup cooking liquid.
- Add sausage, pasta, and cooking liquid to skillet; toss to coat. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish, top with feta, and bake until top is browned and juices are bubbling, 18–22 minutes.
Recipe from Bon Appetit