2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon, parsley, dill, thyme, sage, chervil, savory, and/or rosemary
Finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
4 sole (or flounder) fillets, about 6 ounces each
Coarsely ground mixed peppercorns
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 two-finger pinches Sal de Ibiza Fleur de Sel
1. Blend the butter, herbs and lemon zest together. Gently roll into a cylinder about the size of your thumb and cut into 4 disks, set aside.
2. Pat the sole fillets dry with a paper towel and season with pepper.
3. Put 2 large skillets over high heat until very hot. Add a tablespoon of oil to each skillet and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
4. Put 2 fillets in each pan, whiter side down and sauté until the edges of the fillets are opaque, about 2 minutes.
5. Turn carefully and cook on the other side until the surface is dry but the flesh is still moist in the center, about 2 more minutes.
6. Transfer to plates.
7. Remove the pans from the heat and deglaze with the lemon juice.
8. Pour over the fish.
9. Top each fish fillet with a disk of herb butter and season with a pinch or two of fleur de sel.