- For the roast
- 1 (2 ½ to 3-pound) boneless beef eye round roast
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Pommery Lion’s Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Pommery Sherry Vinegar
- For the horseradish sauce
- 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons jarred horseradish
- 1 tablespoons 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Season the roast well with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large ovenproof (preferably cast iron) sauté pan over medium-high heat, and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. When hot, sear the beef on all sides, until nicely browned, about 8 minutes in total. Transfer the beef to a plate for a few minutes, and pour off most of the remaining fat in the pan.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the minced garlic, Lion’s mustard, Sherry vinegar, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper to taste.
- Brush or smear the mixture all over the roast, and return the beef to the skillet fat side down. Roast in the oven until an instant read thermometer registers 125°F for medium-rare (25 to 30 minutes), or 130°F for medium (30 to 35 minutes; the temperature will continue to climb for a bit after it is removed from the oven.)
- Let the roast rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes for it to finish cooking and for the juices to reabsorb into the meat before slicing thinly.
- While the beef is cooking, make the Horseradish Sauce: in a small bowl blend together the sour cream, horseradish, lemon juice and salt.
This recipe inspired by The Mom 100.