- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1 medium head red cabbage (about 2 3/4 pounds), thinly sliced
- 2 cups crushed walnuts
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup LeBlanc raspberry vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pint fresh raspberries or 2 cups frozen
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add shallots and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage, walnuts, apples, vinegar and sugar to pot.
- Cook until cabbage is limp, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Add raspberries. Cook until most of liquid has evaporated, about 25 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before serving.)
This recipe inspired by Epicurious.