- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Terre Exotique Vanilla Bean
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate small bowl, combine the sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla beans. Use your fingers to rub the zest and beans into the sugar, releasing their aromatic oils.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the sugar mixture with the eggs on medium high speed until pale and thick, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract. Use a spatula to fold in the melted butter, and then the flour.
- Cover and refrigerate batter for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and grease and flour a madeleine pan.
- Fill the shells of the madeleine pan with the chilled batter almost full. Bake until centers are puffed and edges are golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes in the pan, then pop out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Madeleines are best the day they are made, but may be stored for up to 2 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
This recipe inspired by Completely Delicious.